From a pancake breakfast to a belly flop contest, and a whole lot more in between.
The new one-day festival Kelowna Made takes over City park on Saturday, August 27.
The family-friendly festival is the brainchild of a committee of local residents and the City of Kelowna. It emerged from the city’s Event Strategy and its Get Eventive Days and incorporates feedback from public engagement and surveys.
“Over time, we’re hoping Kelowna Made can grow into a signature event for the City of Kelowna,” said Sarah Semeniuk, event services coordinator with the City of Kelowna, and co-chair of the Kelowna Made host committee.
“In this pilot year, we’ve got a variety of fun activities planned, including a wacky belly flop championship that is sure to be fun to watch or participate in! We hope this will be a fun all-ages celebration that will bring the community together.”
The day begins with a pancake breakfast hosted by the Kelowna-Okanagan Mission Lions Club.
Other highlights include a beach volleyball tournament, a family sandcastle building event with a special installation by master sand sculptor Peter Vogelaar, yoga in the park and a free introductory ballet class by Ballet Kelowna.
Organizers are still seeking volunteers. Shifts can be as short as two hours or cover the whole event. Volunteers will receive a limited edition Kelowna Made bucket hat, the ultimate souvenir from the inaugural event. To register complete this form.
Kicking off at 9 a.m. on August 27, the 2022 Kelowna Made lineup includes:
- Kelowna Made Pancake Breakfast, Hosted by Kelowna-Okanagan Mission Lions Club
- Spirit of the Lake Parade Float, Hosted by City of Kelowna
- Kelowna Made Beach Volleyball Tournament, Powered by Urban Rec Okanagan
- Kelowna Made Artisan Showcase, Hosted by Artisans Showcase
- Park & Play, Hosted by City of Kelowna Park & Play
- Entertainment Stage, Organized by Festivals Kelowna
- Zorbs, Hosted by City of Kelowna Park & Play
- Kids’ Athletic Testing, Hosted by PacificSport Okanagan
- Master Sand Sculptor, Peter Vogelaar
- Pop-Up Series: Dance by the Lake, Hosted by Ballet Kelowna
- Yoga in the Park, Hosted by Okanagan Yoga Professionals
- Can you Canoe?, Hosted by Kelowna Paddle Centre
- Free Face Painting with Henna Hut
- Free Caricatures with Monte
- Family Sandcastle Building, Hosted by BGC Okanagan
- Water Polo, Hosted by Kelowna Water Polo Club
- Pickleball Elite Demos, Hosted by Kelowna Pickleball Club
- Food Trucks
- Disc Golf, Hosted by Kelowna Disc Golf Association
- Row your Dragon Boat, Hosted by Kelowna Dragon Boat Club
- Kelowna Made Belly Flop Championship
- Parks Alive! Street Dance, Hosted by Festivals Kelowna, part of the “PC Urban & Nicola Wealth Music Weekends” presented by Re/Max Kelowna and supported by Valley First
View the full schedule here.