Chloe Grace Moretz struggled with body dysmorphia and became a "recluse" after a "horrific" 'Family Guy' meme.
The 25-year-old star has reflected on the way she was talked about online after a photographer snapped her walking into a hotel carrying a pizza box, which sparked a viral meme mocking her body with "long legs" and a "short torso."
She told Hunger magazine: "Everyone was making fun of my body and I brought it up with someone and they were like, ‘Oh, shut the f*** up, it’s funny.’
"And I just remember sitting there and thinking, my body is being used as a joke and it’s something that I can’t change about who I am, and it is being posted all over Instagram.
"It was something so benign as walking into a hotel with leftovers. And to this day, when I see that meme, it’s something very hard for me to overcome.”
She admitted the fallout made her "kind of sad", and she became very "self-conscious" even when she was in her element at red carpet events.
She added: "After that, I was kind of sad. It took a layer of something that I used to enjoy, which was getting dressed up and going to a carpet and taking a photo, and made me super self-conscious.
"And I think that body dysmorphia – which we all deal with in this world – is extrapolated by the issues of social media. It’s a headf***.”
In response, the 'Carrie' actress "became a recluse", and was able to detach herself from fame by not being pictured all the time.
She said: “I basically became a recluse. It was great because I got away from the photographers and I was able to be myself, and to have so many experiences that people didn’t photograph, but at the same time it made me severely anxious when I was photographed.
"My heart rate would rise and I would hyperventilate.”
- Pete Davidson selling homeEntertainment 1:49 pm - 1,108 views
- Harry wanted a 'normal life'Entertainment 12:02 pm - 1,359 views
- Worried about hubby AlecEntertainment 7:32 am - 2,564 views
- U2's Mullen out for a yearEntertainment 7:29 am - 1,228 views
- Tributes to Kirstie AlleyEntertainment 7:25 am - 1,742 views
- Britney ditches InstagramEntertainment 7:23 am - 1,009 views
- Borat mocks Kanye, TrumpEntertainment 7:17 am - 1,168 views
- Brad's lawsuit 'frivolous'Entertainment 7:13 am - 1,303 views