Come out to Skaha Beach this weekend to see some serious CrossFit competition.
The eighth annual Okanagan Valley Throwdown (OVT) was scheduled to take place at the SOEC in 2020. The event, like many others, was postponed for two years due to the pandemic and the organizers are excited to finally bring it to life.
"We were only a week out from hosting OVT when everything was shutdown for the pandemic. It was a huge hit," said Lyndie Hill, event organizer from Hoodoo Adventure Company.
"With all the restrictions for indoor events, especially fitness venues, we have had a hard time rescheduling but we wanted to make sure that we could pull through for the athletes who have been waiting for years to compete. We had to make a decision months ago to finalize the venue and decided that, at the time, outside was our safest bet."
The event has partnered up with Beach City CrossFit at Barefoot Beach Resort, starting the first Skaha Beach Throwdown in the Throwdown Series.
"We now probably have the most unique venue in the history of functional fitness competitions, which we are very excited about," Hill added.
The competition will host nearly 200 athletes from around Western Canada, with events at both the beach and at Play Winery, where they will compete in a weight lifting workout overlooking the vineyard.
The Competition will take place Saturday and Sunday as follows:
- Event #1 - Barefoot Beach
- 7-8:30am *Individual Males I 8:30-10am *Individual Females I 10-11:30am *Teams
- Event #2 - Barefoot Beach
- 12-1:30pm *Individual Males I 1:30-3pm *Individual Females I 3-4:30pm *Teams
- Event # 3 - Play Estate Winery
- 4:30-5:30pm *Individual Males I 5:30-6:30pm *Individual Females I 7:30-8:30pm *Teams
- Event # 4 - Barefoot Beach
- 8-9:15am *Individual Males I 9:15-10:30am *Individual Females I 10:30am-12pm *Teams
- Event #5 - Barefoot Beach Finals
- 12pm-3pm - All will compete in this WOD with lower scores competing first.
- 2-4pm - Top 8 in each category to compete for top 3 spots.
- 4:30pm - Award Ceremony
Spectating the event is by donation to the Youth Outdoor Recreation Society and can be done from the winery, the beach or from your own private dock on the lake, run by GEO Docks.
Food and fitness vendors will be onsite.
Gates open at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday and 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
For more information, visit the Throwdown Series website here.