169353
WHL  

The provincial health office is expected to respond soon to the WHL's return to play plan

WHL plan being reviewed

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix has walked back a comment made earlier this week by provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry concerning the Western Hockey League's return to play plan.

In response to a question during Friday's news conference, Dix confirmed the government has indeed received the league's plan for a safe return to the ice for its five BC Division teams.

On Monday, Dr. Henry indicated an up to date plan had not been submitted.

Dix said the 65-page plan was received in early February.

"It is being reviewed by officials with the provincial health office," said Dix.

"I expect they will have recommendations around that for Dr. Henry next week, and then we will be responding and working with the Western Hockey League.

"We will be responding to the plan soon."

The WHL's plan includes establishment of two hub cities. Kamloops would house both Prince George and Vancouver, while the Rockets and Victoria would call Kelowna home for what would amount to an abbreviated 24-game schedule.

The five B.C. teams are the only clubs left without a start date.

The Central, Eastern and US divisions have all been given approval to begin playing.

The Central Division clubs begin their abbreviated season next Friday.



More WHL articles